I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest:
1. a. banks b. sing c. music d. writes
2. a. sugar b. sure c. sand d. should
3. a. champagne b. chemistry c. backache d. christmas
4. a. cooked b. collected c. jumped d. talked
5. a. decisions b. trends c. markets d. offers
II. Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence:
6. EMS stands for _______________.
a. Electronic Mail Service
b. Express Mail Service
c. Economic Mail Service
d. Environment management Service
7. We offer a very ____________ rate for parcels of under 2 kg.
a. compete b. competition
c. competitive d. competitor
8. Water power provides energy without______________.
a. pollute b. pollution
c. polluted d. pollutes
9. The boy __________I borrowed this pen lives next to my door.
a. from that b. whom
c. whose d. from whom
10. Most of our energy comes from ______________fuels.
a. natural b. fossil
c. different d. artificial
11. She has one of the biggest _________ of stamps in Britain.
a. collection b. collective
c. collector d. collections
12. The singer was ____________ on the piano by her sister.
a. performed b. played
c. helped d. accompanied
13. Your name is Thomas, ____________ ?
a. isn’t it b. aren’t you
c. is it d. are you
14. Not only John but also his two brothers ____ football as their recreation every weekend.
a. play b. Plays
c. were playing d. has played
15. _____________ gave me that picture book.
a. Mary b. It was Mary
c. It was Mary whom d. It was Mary whose
16. It is the library _________________.
a. that I often borrow books
b. that I often borrow books from
c. where I often borrow books from
d. from that I often borrow books
17. Each country sends its best athletes ____ participation expresses the friendship and solidarity.
a. who b. Which c. That d. whose
18. The fence _______ my house was made of wood.
a. to surround b. which surrounds
c. surrounded d. which surrounding
19. The astronauts were able to send the information back to the Earth.
a. spacemen b. space stations
c. Spaceships d. space shots
20. _______from many countries competed in the Olympic Games.
a. Spectators b. Athletes
c. Audience d. Viewers
III. Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D that needs correcting:
21. It is (A) you who is (B) the most excellent (C) student in (D) this college.
22. He decided (A) to see (B) the doctor, that (C) is a (D) good idea.
23. Protecting (A) the environment is (B) the duty of people live (C) anywhere (D) in the world.
24. It was (A) nice to see all his family (B) , all of who (C) I have met (D) before.
25. Not (A) only my country but also (B) the United States have (C) good (D) universities.
IV. Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer (A, B, C or D) for each blank:
The first stamp (26)____ the world was an English stamp. It was made in 1840. Before that time people paid money (27)____ the postman for every letter they received and the postman didn’t give letters to anybody (28)____ didn’t pay him. An English teacher (29)____ name is Rowland Hill thought much about it. One day he said that people who wrote the letters must pay for them and not the (30)____ . He spoke about to people in the government. Soon all the post offices began to sell little pieces of paper with a stamp on them.
26. a. of b. in c. on d. beyond
27. a. for b. to c. toward d. at
28. a. whom b. whose c. who d. which
29. a. which b. whom c. that d. whose
30. a. postmen b. writers c. receivers d. getters
V. Read the passage carefully, then choose the correct answer:
Sometimes forest fires have caused serious damage to both private and public property. They destroy many houses and cause deaths, particularly when they have reached villages which are close to the forests. It is more dangerous if a destructive fire burns away plants and trees that prevent erosion. If heavy rains occur after such a fire, landslides, ash flows, and flash floods can occur. This can result in property damage in the immediate fire area, and can affect the water quality of streams, rivers and lakes. Wind sometimes makes contributions to forest fires. In southern California, under the influence of Santa Ana winds, fires could move at tremendous speeds, up to 40 miles (60 km) in a single day, consuming up to 1,000 acres (4 km2) per hour.
31. Forest fires______________________.
a. even cause deaths
b. cannot cause deaths
c. are not related to wind
d. do no harm to land
32. Forest fires_____________________________.
a. are not as dangerous as we think
b. can cause erosion
c. cannot cause damage to property
d. are not close to any village
33. Which sentence is not true?
a. Plants and trees can prevent erosion.
b. Floods never occur after a forest fire.
c. California has ever experienced a big forest fire.
d. There are some villages which are next to forests.
34. What is the main idea of the text?
a. Houses, deaths and forest fires
b. Landslides and forest fires
c. Fires inSouthern California
d. Forest fire destruction
35. ______may happen after a forest fire.
a. Wind b. Water purity
c. Nothing d. Water pollution
VI. Choose the answer – a, b, c or d – that is nearest in meaning to the printed before it:
36. The students are happy. They won the poetry contest.
a. The students won the poetry contest are happy.
b. The students which won the poetry contest are happy.
c. The students who won the poetry contest are happy.
d. The students who won the poetry contest they are happy.
37. We cut down many forests. The earth becomes hot.
a. The more we cut down forests, the earth becomes hotter.
b. The more forests we cut down, the hotter the earth becomes.
c. The more we cut down forests, the hotter the earth becomes.
d. The more forests we cut down, the earth becomes hotter.
38. Karim doesn’t smoke, and I don’t either.
a. Karim doesn’t smoke, and neither do I.
b. Karim doesn’t smoke, and I am not, too.
c. a và b are correct.
d. Neither a nor b is correct.
|Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn|
|1. c||/z/, còn lại: /s/||21. B||is → are|
|2. c||/s/, còn lại: /ʃ/||22. C||that → which|
|3. a||/ʃ/, còn lại: /k/||23. C||live → who live/living|
|4. b||/id/, còn lại: /t/||24. C||all of who → all of whom|
|5. c||/s/, còn lại: /z/||25. C||have → has|
|6. b||Express Mail Service: dịch vụ thư chuyển phát nhanh;||26. b|
|7. c||competitive: cạnh tranh;||27. b|
|8. b||28. c|
|9. d||29. d|
|10. b||30. c|
|11. d||31. a||Dẫn chứng: “They destroy many houses and cause deaths…”|
|12. d||accompany: đi kèm, phụ thêm, đệm;||32. b||Dẫn chứng: “It is more dangerous if a destructive fire burns away plants and trees that prevent erosion.”|
|13. a||33. b||Dẫn chứng: “If heavy rains occur after such a fire, landslides, ash flows, and flash floods can occur.”|
|14. a||34. d|
|15. a||35. d||Dẫn chứng: “This can result in property damage in the immediate fire area, and can affect the water quality of streams, rivers and lakes.”|
|16. b||36. c|
|17. d||37. b|
|18. b||38. a|
|19. a||astronauts = spacemen: nhà du hành vũ trụ;|
|20. b||athlete: vận động viên;|