I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the others:
1. a. shifts b. thinks c. joins d. soups
2. a. busy b. basic c. person d. answer
3. a. bags b. graphs c. lands d. days
4. a. cooks b. loves c. joins d. spends
5. a. coach b. chore c. chorus d. check
II. Choose the word or phrase – a, b, c or d – that best completes the sentence or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase:
6. He has been very interested in doing research on _______ since he was at high school.
a. biology b. biological c. biologist d. biologically
7. Are you sure that boys are more _______ than girls?
a. act b. active c. action d. activity
8. It is generally believed that “Men make _______ house and women make _______ home”.
a. Ø / Ø b. a / an c. the / the d. an / the
9. Most doctors and nurses have to work on a _______ once or twice a week at the hospital.
a. solution b. night shift
c. household chores d. special dishes
10. We enjoy _______ time together in the evening when the family members gather in the living room after a day of working hard.
a. spending b. caring c. taking d. doing
11. It is parents’ duty and responsibility to _______ hands to tae care of their children and give them a happy home.
a. shake b. hold c. join d. take
12. He is a _______ boy. He is often kind and helpful to every classmate.
a. frank b. lovely c. obedient d. caring
13. Doctors are supposed to _______ responsibility for human life.
a. do b. take c. rush d. join
14. _______ sure that you follow the instructions carefully.
a. Believe b. Try c. Do d. Make
15. Sometimes Mr. Peter has to work very late _______ night to do some important experiments.
a. in b. at c. for d. on
16. These quick and easy _______ can be effective in the short term, but they have a cost.
a. solve b. solvable c. solutions d. solvability
17. Thinh is _______ only child in his family so his parents love him a lot.
a. a b. an c. the d. no article
18. According to the boss, John is the most _______ for the position of executive secretary.
a. supportive b. caring
c. suitable d. comfortable
19. She got up late and rushed to the bus stop.
a. came into b. went leisurely c. went quickly d. dropped by
20. Bob, come and give me a hand with cooking.
a. help b. prepared c. be busy d. attempt
Put each verb in brackets into a suitable tense. All sentence refer to past time:
21. I realized that someone (steal) _________ my wallet when I (feel)_______ their hand in my jacket pocket.
22. David (offer) _________ me another biscuit but I decided I (have)________ enough.
23. At school I (dislike) __________ the chemistry teacher because she (always pick) ____________ on me.
24. Nobody (watch)___________ so the little boy (take)___________ the packet of sweets from the shelf and (put)__________ into his pocket.
25. I (know)_________ I (do)__________ well in my exams even before I (receive)___________ the official results.
Give the correct form of the given words to complete the following sentences:
26. My father is a ___________ who is studying marine life. (biology)
27. Lizzie has been very __________ during my illness. (support)
28. My main ____________ at home is to wash the dishes. (responsible)
29. My mother is a very warm and ________ person. (care)
30. If you are worried about their ___________, put your jewels in the hotel safe. (secure)
Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer:
Jean spent her first few years in Hooper and her family moved to Otsego early in her life. She was only ten when her father died unexpectedly, leaving her mother to raise and support their family alone. Her mother soon went to work outside the home to provide for the family, and Jean, being one of the oldest, had to help care for her younger siblings. Although she had much responsibility at home, Jean thoroughly enjoyed school and was an excellent student. She went on to graduate 10th in her class at Otsego High School in 1953.
While still in high school, Jean met a young man named Charles “Chuck” Holly, at a dance in Alamo; and they were quite taken with each other. Over the next few years, their love for each other blossomed and they were married on February 24, 1953, while Jean was still in school. At the time, Chuck was serving his country in the military, and had come home on leave to marry his sweetheart. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter, he was sent overseas to serve in Korea for the next fifteen months.
Upon his discharge, the couple settled into married life together in the Plainwell, Otsego area. To help make ends meet, Jean went to work at the collection bureau in Kalamazoo for a while, before taking a job at the cheese company in Otsego. In 1964, Chuck and Jean were overjoyed with the birth of their son, Chuck, who brought great joy into their lives. Jean remembered how her mother was always gone so much working after her father died and she did not want that for her son, so she left her job to devote herself to the role of a mother.
(*) Từ mới:
sibling: anh (chị, em) ruột:
thoroughly: hoàn toàn, hoàn hảo;
blossom: nảy nở;
thereafter: sau đó, về sau;
discharge: sự giải tán, sự giải ngũ (quân đội);
bureau: cục, nha, vụ;
overjoyed: vui mừng khôn xiết;
devote: hiến dâng, dành hết cho;
31. Before Jean’s father passed away, her mother used to ___________.
a. work outside the home b. be a housewife
c. support the family alone d. work as a secretary
32. Which is not referred to Jean?
a. She was a responsible girl.
b. She never helped her mother with household chores.
c. She often did well at school.
d. She went to high school.
33. Jean’s husband was a _______.
a. teacher b. dancer c. soldier d. servant
34. Jean ______________________.
a. served in the military b. lived in Korea for fifteen months
c. had a daughter d. got married when she was a student
35. Which is not true about Jean?
a. She disliked staying at home and taking care of her child.
b. She worked outside the home before she had a child.
c. She was very happy when she got a baby.
d. She quit her job to look after her baby.
Choose the sentence which has the closest meaning to the original one:
36. They are not allowed to go out in the evening by their parents.
a. Their parents do not want them to go out in the evening.
b. Their parents never let them to go out in the evening.
c. Going out in the evening is permitted by their parents.
d. Although their parents do not allow, they still go out in the evening.
37. Although my parents are busy at work, they try to find time for their children.
a. My parents are so busy at work that they cannot find time for their children.
b. Busy at work as my parents are, they try to find time for their children.
c. My parents are too busy at work to find time for their children.
d. My friends rarely have time for their children because they are busy at work.
38. His eel soup is better than any other soups I have ever eaten.
a. Of all the soups I have ever eaten, his eel soup is the best.
b. I have ever eaten many soups that are better than his eel soup.
c. His eel soup is the worst of all soups I have eaten.
d. His eel soup is good but I have ever eaten many others better.
39. She gets up early to prepare breakfast so that her children can come to school on time.
a. Despite her getting up early to prepare breakfast, her children cannot come to school on time.
b. Because she wanted her children to come to school on time, she gets up early to prepare breakfast.
c. If she does not get up early to prepare breakfast, her children will not come to school on time.
d. Unless she gets up early to prepare breakfast, her children will not come to school on.
40. The last time I went to the museum was a year ago.
a. I have not been to the museum for a year.
b. A year ago, I often went to the museum.
c. My going to the museum lasted a year.
d. At last I went to the museum after a year.
|1. c||/z/, còn lại: /s/|
|2. a||/z/, còn lại: /s/|
|3. b||/s/, còn lại: /z/|
|4. a||/s/, còn lại: /z/|
|5. c||/k/, còn lại: /tʃ/|
|6. a||biology: sinh vật học|
|7. b||active: năng động|
|9. b||night shift: ca đêm|
|10. a||enjoy + N/V-ing|
|11. c||join hands: cùng nhau|
|12. d||caring: quan tâm người khác|
|13. b||take responsibility for: nhận tránh nhiệm, gánh vác trách nhiệm|
|19. c||rush: vội vã đi gấp|
|20. a||give sb a hand: giúp đỡ ai|
|21||was stealing – felt|
|22||offered – had had|
|23||disliked – was always picking|
|24||was watching – took – put|
|25||knew – had done – received|
|31. b||Dẫn chứng: “She was only ten when her father died unexpectedly, leaving her mother to raise and support their family alone. Her mother soon went to work outside the home to provide for the family…”|
|33. c||Dẫn chứng: “At the time, Chuck was serving his country in the military…”|
|34. d||Dẫn chứng: “Over the next few years, their love for each other blossomed and they were married on February 24, 1953, while Jean was still in school.”|
|35. a||Dẫn chứng: “Jean remembered how her mother was always gone so much working after her father died and she did not want that for her son, so she left her job to devote herself to the role of a mother.”|
free nude gay video chat https://bjsgaychatroom.info/
gay fat dating https://gaypridee.com/
123flash chat gay https://gay-buddies.com/
slots with high volitality https://2-free-slots.com/
free vegas slots online https://freeonlneslotmachine.com/
free atari slots https://candylandslotmachine.com/
double diamond slots https://pennyslotmachines.org/
office mailbox slots https://slotmachinesworld.com/
pearl warriors slots https://slotmachinesforum.net/
shaved models slots https://slot-machine-sale.com/
las vegas casino slots https://beat-slot-machines.com/
youtube slots https://download-slot-machines.com/
scatter slots by murka https://411slotmachine.com/
wonder woman slots https://slotmachinegameinfo.com/
phd dissertation help editing https://dissertationwriting-service.com/
proposal and dissertation help objectives https://mydissertationwritinghelp.com/
education dissertation topics https://dissertations-writing.org/
Comments are closed.