I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest:
1. a. picture b. nature c. just d. mutual
2. a. generous b. good c. manager d. general
3. a. diagram b. divide c. environment d. beginner
4. a. volunteer b. populous c. poverty d. construct
5. a. depend b. religion c. separate d. event
II. Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase:
6. Let’s go ahead and do it now. Nothing ______ by waiting.
a. accomplishes b. accomplished
c. has accomplished d. will be accomplished
7. No one is a better cook than your mother, ______?
a. is she b. isn’t she
c. are they d. aren’t they
8. “Did you enjoy the picnic?” – “It was okay, but I’d rather ______ to a movie.”
a. to go b. be going
c. have gone d. went
9. I don’t remember ______ of the decision to change the company policy on vacation. When was it decided?
a. telling b. being told
c. to tell d. to be told
10. I couldn’t find Jo at the party last night. If I ______ him, we’d have been happy.
a. meet b. met
c. have met d. had met
11. In tonight’s quiz, our contestants have come from all over the country.
a. losers b. judges
c. competitors d. winners
12. Jones will have completed his four-year course at university next month.
a. finished b. found
c. tried d. enjoyed
13. We are looking forward _________ from you soon.
a. of having heard b. at hearing
c. to hearing d. from hearing
14. ___________ it was raining heavily, he went out without a raincoat.
a. Because of b. In spite of
c. Because d. Although
15. When you got back, he ___________ Ha Noi for Sai Gon.
a. leaves b. had left
c. has left d. will leave
16. I don’t think ________ likes the film. It’s boring.
a. someone b. no one
c. everyone d. anyone
17. We wish you both health and longevity.
a. long life b. happy life
c. easy life d. exciting life
18. If you walk on the stress before Tet, you’ll find great ________ everywhere.
a. exciting b. excited
c. excitedly d. excitement
19. The United Nations is a(an)________organization.
a. national b. nation
c. international d. internationally
20. There are 54 ______ minorities in Vietnam.
a. national b. primary
c. ethnic d. main
III. Choose the underlined word or phrase – a, b, c or d – that needs correcting:
21. If you work hard (A), you would be (B) successful in (C) anything that (D) you do.
22. Special education is intended help (A) both (B) handicapped and gifted children to reach (C) their learning potentials (D).
23. Any (A) passengers travel (B) to Cambridge should sit in (C) the first two carriages of (D) the train.
24. Never in the history (A) of humanity there have (B) been more people (C) living (D) on this relatively small planet.
25. An increasing (A) number xworks (B) office works (C) use computer programs as (D) daily routine.
IV. Read the text below and then decide which answer – a, b, c or d – best fits each space:
In many countries in (26) ______ of industrialization, overcrowded cities present a (27) ______ problem. The (28) ______ of towns is mainly caused by the drift of large numbers of people from the rural areas. The (29) ______ long-term solution is to make (30) ______ in the rural areas more attractive, which would (31) ______ people to stay there. This could be achieved by providing incentives for people to go and work in the villages. Moreover, (32) ______ in the rural areas, such as transportation, health and education services should be (33) ______.
26. a. progress b. process
c. procedure d. proceeding
27. a. little b. basic
c. major d. practical
28. a. population b. popularity
c. underpopulation d. overpopulation
29. a. barely b. only
c. single d. one
30. a. sights b. surroundings
c. atmosphere d. life
31. a. insist b. suggest
c. encourage d. persuade
32. a. equipment b. facilities
c. means d. appliances
33. a. invested b. increased
c. impressed d. improved
V. Rewrite the sentences using the given cues:
34. The teacher made his students work hard for the exam.
The students _____________.
35. It was a long time ago when I saw a movie.
I haven’t ________________.
36. Julia didn’t wear the raincoat, so she got a cold.
If Julia _________________.
|Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn|
|1. c||/t/, còn lại: /tʃ/||19. c|
|2. b||/g/, còn lại: /dʒ/||20. c||ethnic: (thuộc) dân tộc;|
|3. d||/ɪ/, còn lại: /aɪ/||21. B||would be → will be;|
|4. d||/ə/, còn lại: /ɒ/||22. A||help → to help;|
|5. c||/e/, còn lại: /ɪ/||23. B||travel → traveling;|
|6. d||24. B||there have → have there;|
|7. c||25. C||works → workers;|
|8. c||26. b||process of industrialization: quá trình công nghiệp hóa;|
|9. b||27. c||major: lớn (hơn), nhiều (hơn), trọng đại, chủ yếu;|
|10. d||28. d|
|11. c||contestant = competitor;||29. b|
|12. a||complete = finish;||30. d|
|13. c||look forward + V-ing;||31. c||encourage sb to V: khuyến khích ai đó làm việc gì;|
|14. d||32. b|
|15. b||33. d|
|16. d||34.||The students were made to work hard for the exam (by their teacher).|
|17. a||longevity: trường thọ;||35.||I haven’t seen a movie for a long time.|
|18. d||36.||If Julia had worn the raincoat, she wouldn’t have got a cold.|