I. Choose the word whose underlined part is different from the rest:
1. a. knowledge b. comfort c. popular d. college
2. a. orchestra b. scholarchip c. chemistry d. charity
3. a. announced b. struggled c. observed d. repaired
4. a. competition b. completion c. information d. question
5. a. swim b. answer c. sweater d. switch
II. Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase:
6. She was able to ______ all the tasks assigned to her.
a. keep on b. set up
c. put off d. carry out
7. We managed to ______ over $5,000 through donations and other events.
a. deposit b. donate
c. raise d. exchange
8. Sarah reminded her roommate ______ her alarm clock for 5:45.
a. to set b. setting
c. to be set d. of setting
9. The boy found a wallet in the street, and then he ______ to return it to the loser.
a. tried b. had tried
c. was trying d. had been trying
10. The two children blamed each other ______ the window.
a. to break b. breaking
c. for breaking d. having broken
11. She swam strongly and ______ cross the river easily, even though it was swollen by the heavy rain.
a. used to b. was able to
c. could d. was supposed to
12. The government has spent £2 million on an advertising ______ to encourage energy conservation.
a. campaign b. promotion
c. operation d. competition
13. No one could ever accuse this government ______ about the poor.
a. not caring b. of not caring
c. for not caring d. not to care
14. Mai took part in the annual final English contest organised by our English teachers last week.
a. competition b. wedding
c. party d. club
15. All students can take part in the annual English-speaking Competition.
a. happening once a year b. happening once a term
c. happening once a month d. happening once every six months
16. The children admitted ________ the money.
a. having taken b. take
c. taken d. to take
17. The old man thanked me ____ carrying his suitcase.
a. for b. from c. on d. of
18. He apologized _______ not being able to complete the poem.
a. in b. on c. of d. for
19. Time was _______, and the judges announced the results.
a. out b. up c. off d. down
20. He’s been teaching music for years, but he hasn’t any _______.
a. examinations b. experiences
c. experience d. qualifications
Choose one underlined word or phrase marked A, B, C or D that must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct:
21. My brother has always (A) dreamed to be (B) a famous (C) film star (D).
22. The rain (A) prevented us for (B) climbing (C)to the top of (D)the mountain.
23. Mary told to (A) Jim not to tell (B) anyone else (C) about that story again( D).
24. Mr and Mrs Smith looked (A) to meet (B) their (C) children soon (D).
25. He said (A)that he was accused (B) of have (C) stolen her money two months before (D).
III. Read the following passage and choose the best answer to complete the given sentence by circling the letter A, B, C or D:
The Asian Games, also called the ASIAD, is a multi-sport event held every four years among athletes from all over Asia. The games are regulated by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) under the supervision of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Medals are awarded in each event, with gold for the first place, silver for second and bronze for third. This tradition started in 1951. The Asian Games are dominated by the People’s Republic of China. Competitors are entered by a National Olympic Committed (NOC) to represent their country of citizenship. National anthems and flags accompany the medal ceremonies, and tables showing the number of medals won by each country are widely used. In general, only recognized nations are represented, but a few non-sovereign countries are allowed to take part in. The special case of Taiwan was handled by having it compete as Chinese Taipei due to the political status of Taiwan.
The 15th Asian Games were held in Doha, Qatar from December 1st to December 16, 2005. The next ASIAD will be held in Guangzhou, China from November 2nd to November 18th, 2010.
26. The Asian Games are _______________.
A. dominated by the People’s Republic of China
B. supervised by the Olympic Council of Asia
C. rewarded with only gold medals
D. regulated by International Olympic Committee
27. The Asian Games are _____
A. held every four years
B. also called ASIAD
C. a multi-sport event
D. All are correct.
28. Which of the following sentences is NOT true?
A. In general only recognized nations are represented.
B. Gold medals are awarded for the first place.
C. Taiwan was not represented because of its political status.
D. There are many sports events played in the Asian Games.
29. Where will the 16th Asian Games be held?
A. In Japan B. In China
C. In Doha D. In Taiwan
30. The best title for the passage is _________________.
A. The Asian Games (The ASIAD)
B. The Olympic Council of Asia
C. The International Olympic Committee
D. The National Olympic Committee
IV. Rewrite the sentences, beginning with the words given:
31. Entering the room, I was surprised at what I saw.
32. “Don’t forget to prune the roses,” said my mother.
My mother reminded ________________________________________.
33. “Would you like to go camping with us next week?” said Nam to Huy.
Nam invited _______________________________________________.
34. He drove into the car park and then walked to the office.
After having _______________________________________________.
35. “How about giving Bobby a T-shirt on his birthday tonight?” said James.
James suggested ____________________________________________.
|Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn|
|1. b||/ʌ/, còn lại: /ɒ/||21. B||to be → of being|
|2. d||/tʃ/, còn lại: /k/||22. B||for → from|
|3. a||/t/, còn lại: /d/||23. A||told to → told|
|4. d||/tʃ/, còn lại: /ʃ/||24. B||meet → meeting|
|5. b||“w” câm, còn lại: /w/||25. C||have → having|
|6. d||carry out: thực hiện;||26. A||“The Asian Games are dominated by the People’s Republic of China.”|
|7. c||raise: gây quỹ;||27. D||“The Asian Games, also called the ASIAD, is a multi-sport event held every four years among athletes from all over Asia.”|
|8. a||remind sb to V: nhắc nhở ai đó làm gì;||28. D|
|9. a||29. B|
|10. c||30. A|
|11. b||31.||When I entered the room, I was surprised at what I saw.|
|12. a||advertising campaign: chiến dịch quảng cáo;||32.||My mother reminded me to prune the roses.|
|13. b||accuse sb of V-ing: buộc tội, tố cáo ai đó vì làm việc gì;||33.||Nam invited Huy to go camping with them the next/following week.|
|14. a||contest = competition;||34.||After having driven into the car park, he walked to the office.|
|15. a||annual: thường niên;||35.||James suggested giving Bobby a T-shirt on his birthday tha|
|17. a||thank sb for V-ing: cảm ơn ai đó vì làm việc gì;|
|20. c||experience: kinh nghiệm;|
free chat lines bie and gay https://gaytgpost.com/
igt slots https://2-free-slots.com/
wow equipment slots https://pennyslotmachines.org/
house of fun free slots https://slotmachinesworld.com/
las vegas slots https://slotmachinesforum.net/
goldfish casino slots free https://slot-machine-sale.com/
gossip slots tournament https://slotmachinegameinfo.com/
what is dissertation writing https://buydissertationhelp.com/
medical dissertation help https://help-with-dissertations.com/
how to get help with dissertation https://mydissertationwritinghelp.com/
dissertation writing assistance https://dissertations-writing.org/
Comments are closed.