Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest:
1. a. general b. applicant c. usually d. October
2. a. parallel b. dependent c. educate d. primary
3. a. physical b. achievement c. government d. national
4. a. eleven b. history c. nursery d. different
5. a. consider b. similar c. actually d. carefully
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence or substitutes the underlined part:
6. The school library is open _______ all of the students and the teaching staff of the school.
a. for b. over c. to d. among
7. I have just taken a Test of English as a Foreign Language or TOEFL _______ short.
a. of b. in c. on d. for
8. He did not do well at school and left with few _______ qualifications.
a. academic b. academ c. academician d. academically
9. The Minister of the Education and Training Department appeared on TV last night to _______ his new policy.
a. public b. publicly c. publicize d. publicizing
10. He owed his success not to privilege but to self-education and a driving desire for _______.
a. achieve b. achiever c. achievement d. achievable
11. James’s company will almost certainly fire him _______ he improves his attitude.
a. unless b. or c. otherwise d. if
12. If my client _______ me her fax number, I _______ to post a letter to her.
a. gave / will not have b. will give / do not have
c. had given / wouldn’t have had d. had given / will not have had
13. _______ I had brought my laptop to the meeting yesterday.
a. If b. If only c. Even if d. As if
14. If I _______ the lottery last week, I _______ rich now.
a. had won / would be b. had won / would have been
c. won / would be d. won / would have been
15. Mary said she will join the company if the starting salary _______ her expectations.
a. meets b. met c. has met d. had met
|Câu||Ghi chú||Câu||Ghi chú||Câu||Ghi chú|
|1. d||/ɒkˈtəʊbə(r)/||6. c||11. a|
|2. b||/ˈedʒukeɪt/||7. d||for short: viết tắt;||12. c|
|3. b||/əˈtʃiːvmənt/||8. a||13. b|
|4. a||/ɪˈlevn/||9. c||publicize: công khai;||14. a|
|5. a||/kənˈsɪdə(r)/||10. c||15. a|