I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest:
1. a. climate b. comic c. hike d. website
2. a. worked b. laughed c. hoped d. naked
3. a. cover b. category c. ancient d. decorate
4. a. buddhist b. bomb c. viable d. bulb
5. a. language b. happen c. experience d. know
II. Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence:
6. I’ve got lots of ______ but only a few really good friends.
a. best friends b. neighbors
c. acquaintances d. partners
7. The students in this class were made ______ very hard.
a. learn b. to learn
c. learning d. having learnt
8. I prefer staying at work late ______ work home with me.
a. to take b. taking
c. than take d. to taking
9. You are under no obligation to help as assistance is purely ______.
a. free b. voluntary
c. charitable d. donated
10. Scientists ______ a carefully controlled experiment on the mystery virus.
a. turned over b. put up
c. carried out d. set in
11. It is impossible ______ such a difficult thing without any help.
a. to do b. do
c. doing d. done
12. After they ______ their breakfast, they ______ shopping yesterday.
a. have/ go b. had/ had
c. had/ had gone d. had had/ went
13. They ______ tea when the doorbell ______
a. have/ is ringing b. were having/ rang
c. had had/ rang d. having/ ringing
14. I didn’t want to make ____ fuss, so I left the crowds.
a. a b. an
c. the d. no article
15. Do you want ______ by the doctor?
a. to examine b. to be examined
c. being examined d. being to examine
16. They are whispering to avoid ______ by their friends.
a. being heard b. hearing
c. to be heard d. being hearing
17. __________ it over, I decided to laugh at myself and just join anyway.
a. Having thought b. I have thought
c. I thought d. to have thought
18. The children admitted ______ the money.
a. take b. to take
c. having taken d. being taken
19. We all said, “ ___________ ” ! before Nam blew out the candles on the birthday cake.
a. Happy anniversary b. Happy New Year
c. Congratulations d. Happy birthday to you
20. If I ________ you were sick, I would have called sooner.
a. knew b. had known
c. know d. would have known
III. Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer (A, B, C or D) for each blank:
A beauty contest, or beauty pageant, is a competition between people, largely on the (21)___________ of their physical appearance. The modern beauty pageant can trace its origin to the Miss America pageant, first held in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in 1921, under the title ‘Inter-City Beauty’ contest. The following year the title was (22)_________ as Miss America. Other contests include the yearly Miss World competition and Miss Universe, which are the two largest and most famous (23)_________ beauty contests.
Women from around the world (24)__________ in the competition for these titles. To be selected as Miss World or Miss Universe, a contestant must be celibate or single. If a Miss WorId fails to live up to people’s expectations, she may be disqualified. The organizers of the major beauty contests represent their contests as being events of world importance. (25)__________, many other people consider beauty contests to be agreeable entertainment event of no great importance.
21. A. beautiful B. beautify
C. beauty D. beautifully
22. A. renewed B. removed
C. renamed D. retained
23. A. nation B. national
C. internationale D. international
24. A. participate B. interest
C. excite D. involve
25. A. Besides B. However
C. Therefore D. Furthermore
IV. Read the passage carefully, then choose the correct answer:
In an early survey conducted in 1888, a billion and a half people inhabited the earth. Now, the population is about six billion and is growing fast. Even though the rate of growth has begun to slow down, most people believe the population size may be eight billion during the next several years.
If we examine the amount of land available for this ever increasing population, we begin to see the problem. Not all land is useful to us because it cannot produce food. We can cut out about one fifth of it because it is covered by snow and ice. Then we can cut out another fifth because it is desert. Another fifth is mountains. The other fifth does not have enough soil for crops to grow because it is bare rock. Obviously, with so little land to support us, we should take great care not to reduce it any more or with the rapidly growing population we may sooner or later lack food to eat and place to live in.
26. What is the main topic of the passage?
a. The world’s population and the shortage of cultivated land.
b. The growth of the world’s population.
c. The necessity of reducing the rate of birth.
d. The shortage of cultivated land.
27. The world’s population ______________ at present.
a. has stopped growing b. is still growing
c. is decreasing rapidly d. stands at about eight billion
28. According to the passage, we _______________.
a. can cultivate on all land.
b. are not influenced by the land reduction
c. can grow crops on bare rock
d. should protect land
29. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the word ‘bare’ in the second paragraph?
a. hard b. empty
c. treeless d. rough
30. Which of the following sentences is not true according to the passage?
a. Most of the world’s land are uncultivated.
b. The rapid growth of population may lead to a shortage of land.
c. Only one fifth of the world’s land is being cultivated.
d. There has been a dramatic reduction of the birth rate.
V. Rewrite the sentences using the given cues:
31. “ If I were you, I wouldn’t buy this coat.”, She said to me.
(Change into Reported speech)
She told me _______________.
32. I don’t have enough free time, so I can’t go out with you.
(Using Conditional sentence type 2)
33. “I’m sorry I couldn’t come on Saturday, ” said Tom.
(Change into Reported speech with gerund)
Tom apologized ____________.
34. After we had finished the first term, they went camping yesterday.
(Using Having + V3/ed)
|Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn|
|1. b||/ɪ/, còn lại: /aɪ/||19. d|
|2. d||/id/, còn lại: /t/||20. b|
|3. c||/ʃ/, còn lại: /k/||21. C|
|4. b||“b” câm, còn lại: /b/||22. C||rename: đổi tên;|
|5. a||/ŋ/, còn lại: /n/||23. D|
|6. c||acquaintance: người quen;||24. A|
|7. b||25. B|
|8. d||prefer V-ing to V-ing: thích làm việc gì hơn việc gì;||26. b|
|9. b||voluntary: tự nguyện;||27. b||“Now, the population is about six billion and is growing fast. Even though the rate of growth has begun to slow down, most people believe the population size may be eight billion during the next several years.”|
|10. c||carry out: thực hiện;||28. d||“…we should take great care not to reduce it any more…”|
|11. a||29. c||bare: (đồi) trọc, trơ trụi, không có cây;|
|12. d||30. d|
|13. b||31.||She told me if she were me, she wouldn’t buy that coat.|
|14. a||make a fuss: làm ầm lên, làm rối rít lên;||32.||If I had enough free time, I could go out with you.|
|15. b||examine: kiểm tra;||33.||Tom apologized (to me) for not coming on Saturday.|
|16. a||whisper: thì thầm; avoid + V-ing: tránh việc gì đó;||34.||Having finished the first term, they went camping yesterday.|
|18. c||admit + V-ing: thừa nhận đã làm việc gì đó;|