I. Choose the word whose underlined part is different from the rest:
1. a. young b. proud c. trousers d. blouse
2. a. whale b. plane c. drag d. brake
3. a. yellow b. prefix c. twelfth d. trench
4. a. blood b. troops c. proof d. broom
5. a. drink b. prince c. witness d. bride
II. Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase:
6. George had to ________________ playing tennis when he injured his knee.
a. end up b. go on
c. stop for d. give up
7. I don’t ___________ of smoking in the public places. It’s not fair to non-smokers.
a. disapprove b. approve
c. appeal d. prevent
8. They _______________ their living by selling fruits and vegetables.
a. gain b. have
c. win d. earn
9. Could you please ________________ an eye on the kids for a minute?
a. keep b. put
c. have d. take
10. ______________ are children whose parents passed away.
a. Volunteers b. College students
c. Handicapped children d. Orphans
11. She asked me ______________ the door.
a. to close b. closing
c. close d. closed
12. Jeff seemed to be ___________ of remembering anything I told him.
a. unable b. unwilling
c. incapable d. inefficient
13. ______________ at the audience, the contestant gave her answer with confidence.
a. Looking b. To look
c. Have look d. Look
14. The thief admitted ______________ the money.
a. to steal b. steal
c. stealing d. stolen
15. I wish you would keep ______________ the argument. You’re just making things worse.
a. up with b. away from
c. up d. out of
16. ______ six months for the washing machine to be delivered, I decided to cancel the order.
a. Waiting b. Having waited
c. Being waited d. Waited
17. Many firms are now struggling to survive in a highly ______ marketplace.
a. competing b. competition
c. competitive d. uncompetitive
18. The ______ will observe and score your performance in the contest.
a. judges b. contestants
c. sponsors d. winners
19. ______ , she went home early.
a. Feel not well b. Having felt not well
c. Feeling not well d. Not feeling well
20. He congratulated the team ________ all their games.
a. to win b. winning
c. for their winning d. on having won
|Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn|
|1. a||/ʌ/, còn lại: /aʊ/||11. a|
|2. c||/æ/, còn lại: /eɪ/||12. c||be incapable of V-ing: không thể, không có khả năng làm việc gì;|
|3. b||/i:/, còn lại: /e/||13. a|
|4. a||/ʌ/, còn lại: /u:/||14. c|
|5. d||/aɪ/, còn lại: /ɪ/||15. d||keep out of N: đứng ngoài, không xen vào, không dính vào; tránh;|
|6. d||16. a|
|7. b||17. c||competitive: cạnh tranh, đua tranh;|
|8. d||earn one’s living: kiếm sống;||18. a||judge: trọng tài, giám khảo;|
|9. a||keep an eye on sb/sth: để mắt, chú ý đến;||19. d|
|10. d||orphan: đứa trẻ mồ côi;||20. d||congratulate sb on V-ing: chúc mừng ai đó vì điều gì, việc gì đó;|