Choose the word in each group that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest:
1. a. cooks b. loves c. joins d. spends
2. a. hurry b. under c. pressure d. rush
Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest:
3. a. hospital b. mischievous c. supportive d. special
4. a. family b. whenever c. obedient d. solution
5. a. biologist b. generally c. responsible d. security
Choose the one word or phrase – a, b, c, or d – that best completes the sentences or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase:
6. He was looking at his parents _______, waiting for recommendations.
a. obey b. obedience c. obedient d. obediently
7. The interviews with parents showed that the vast majority were _______ of teachers.
a. support b. supportive c. supporter d. supporting
8. Billy has been seriously ill, and he was taken to _____ hospital yesterday
a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
9. My husband and I both go out to work so we share the _______.
a. happiness b. household chores
c. responsibility d. employment
10. You should not burn _______. You had better dig a hole and bury it.
a. dishes b. lab c. garbage d. shift
11. He was very respectful at home and _______ to his parents.
a. responsible b. caring c. obedient d. lovely
12. One of Vietnamese traditions is a belief in _______ families and in preserving their cultures.
a. wealthy b. secure c. safe d. close-knit
13. He was _______ when I had those problems and said whatever I did he would stand by me.
a. supportive b. exciting c. busy d. dull
14. He was determined to give his family a secure and solid _______.
a. base b. floor c. basement d. ground
15. It’s hard work looking _______ three children all day.
a. after b. up c. to d. through
|Câu||Ghi chú||Câu||Ghi chú||Câu||Ghi chú|
|1. a||/s/, còn lại: /z/||6. d||obediently: một cách ngoan ngoãn;||11. c|
|2. c||/ə/, còn lại: /ʌ/||7. b||12. d||close-knit: khăng khít, chặt chẽ;|
|3. c||/səˈpɔːtɪv/||8. d||13. a|
|4. a||/ˈfæməli/||9. b||14. a|
|5. b||/ˈdʒenrəli/||10. c||15. a|