I. Choose the word in each group that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest:
a. bring along b. get on with
c. keep up with d. look after
2. She had never imagined being able to visit such remote countries.
a. foreign b. faraway
c. friendly d. desolate
3. I’ve heard a lot about Dr. James, and I’m looking forward ______ his talk tomorrow.
a. hear b. hearing
c. to hear d. to hearing
4. English classes will be set up for the disadvantaged children.
a. built b. started
c. chosen d. taken
5. Only highly _______ people are capable of discussing these subjects.
a. interesting b. common
c. literate d. business
6. Many university students _______ spent their summer vacations teaching illiterate people to read and write.
a. freely b. consciously
c. gradually d. voluntarily
7. There was a gradual _______ in the number of both males and females who were literate in the Lowlands.
a. rise b. raise
c. arise d. risen
8. Most students felt that _______ respect in the classroom was essential.
a. mutual b. annual
c. actual d. continuous
9. Jeanne appears _______ some weight. Has she been ill?
a. having lost b. having been lost
c. to have lost d. to have been lost
10. Hardly _______ to the bus-stop when the bus suddenly pulled away.
a. did they get b. they had got
c. they got d. had they got
II. Choose the sentence- a, b, c or d – which is closest in meaning to the printed one:
11. Jeanne ran into her old friend downtown last month.
a. Jeanne went downtown to meet her old friend.
b. Jeanne had to drive her old friend downtown last month.
c. Jeanne met her old friend downtown unexpectedly.
d. Jeanne’s car crashed into her friend’s last month.
12. You should have persuaded him to change his mind.
a. It was essential to persuade him to change his mind but you didn’t.
b. You persuaded him to change his mind but he didn’t listen.
c. You didn’t persuade him to change because he didn’t mind.
d. It was diffucult to persuade him to change his mind.
13. I would never have lent Romelu my car if I had known that he had a past record of driving violations.
a. I refused to lend Romelu my car.
b. Romelu got a speeding ticket while driving my car.
c. I knew nothing about Romelu’s driving record, so I lent him my car.
d. Romelu drove my car without his driver’s license.
14. The court found the man innocent of murdering his wife.
a. The man was judged not guilty of killing his wife.
b. The man was found murdered by his wife.
c. The court found a murdered man and his wife.
d. The court decided that the man had killed his wife.
15. Had I known more about computer programming, I would have worked for a computer company.
a. A better knowledge of computer programming will help me find a job in a computer company.
b. I didn’t know much about computer programming, so I didn’t work for a computer company.
c. I wish I knew more about computer programming and could work for a computer company.
d. Knowing more about computer programming, I would find a job in a computer company.
|Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn|
|1. d||take care of sb = look after sb: chăm sóc||6. d||voluntarily: tình nguyện;||11. c||run into sb: vô tình, tình cờ gặp ai đó;|
|2. b||remote = faraway: xa xôi, hẻo lánh;||7. a||rise: sự tăng, gia tăng;||12. a|
|3. d||8. a||mutual respect: sự tôn trọng lẫn nhau;||13. c|
|4. b||set up ~ start||9. c||appear to V: tỏ ra, có vẻ, dường như;||14. a||innocent = not guilty: vô tội;|
|5. c||literate: có học, hay chữ; biết đọc biết viết;||10. d||(cấu trúc Hardly … when …)||15. b|