I. Choose the word in each group that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest:
1. a. hour b. half c. home d. house
2. a. union b. useful c. under d. university
3. a. ethnic b. northern c. healthy d. south
II. Choose the one word or phrase – a, b, c, or d – that best completes the sentences:
4. All the teachers work on an entirely ______ basis.
a. volunteer b. volunteered
c. voluntary d. voluntarily
5. They volunteer to take care of children who have been ______ by the AIDS epidemic.
a. supported b. suffered
c. left d. orphaned
6. It’s filthy in here! Are there any volunteers to help ______?
a. light up b. clean up
c. clear up d. take up
7. The new law allows school districts to spend more money on less ______ children.
a. advantageous b. disadvantageous
c. advantaged d. disadvantaged
8. Thirty-five people _______ killed in that traffic accident.
a. reported to be b. are reporting to be
c. are reported being d. are reported to be
9. The woman said she _______ in this village for over fifty years.
a. has been living b. was living
c. had been living d. lives
10. The lecturer recommended ______ a number of books before the exam.
a. reading b. to read
c. us reading d. to have read
III. Identify the one underlined word or phrase – A, B, C or D – that must be changed for the sentence to be correct:
|Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn|
|1. a||“h” câm, còn lại: /h/||7. c|
|2. c||/ʌ/, còn lại: /ju:/||8. d||report: báo cáo, thông báo;|
|3. b||/ð/, còn lại: /θ/||9. c|
|4. c||voluntary (adj): tự nguyện, tình nguyện;||10. a||recommend + V-ing: tiến cử, đề xuất việc gì đó;|
|5. d||orphan: (làm cho) mồ côi||11. C||rarely → rare|
|6. b||clean up: dọn dẹp, vệ sinh;||12. D||change → changed|